Thread: New Here. Are Abilities Stackable?

New Here. Are Abilities Stackable?

I am new to the game--been playing for 3 weeks now.

I tried to find an answer to this by searching here but no luck.

What I'd like to know is...Are abilities in combat stackable? Are runes stackable?

Here is an example of what I mean.

I have a Musu. In combat I use my special skill "Healthy Minerals" This gives me a shield of 40% and regeneration. The next round I decide to use my other defensive ability "Mass Shield" which gives me a 30% shield but no regeneration.

The way I see it, when using these two abilities back to back, there are several different possible scenarios as far as how the game handles this.

1) Both shields combine, giving you a MEGA shield.
    2) The stronger Healthy Minerals shield works--in effect wasting the use of the Mass Shield.
    3) The Mass Shield, since it was used last, cancels out/eliminates the Healthy Minerals abilities and I lose the 40% shield and regeneration effects as it is replaced by the Mass Shield.
    4) Some other way they work together?

To me, this is important when trying to formulate a battle strategy with abilities. I was surprised I couldn't find the answer in the Wiki article or by searching here. I probably just used the wrong key words.

The same question for runes. If I use the same rune in two different slots, do they stack? Or does only one work and I am wasting a rune slot by using the same rune in another slot?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GrnXnham View Post
    I am new to the game--been playing for 3 weeks now.

I tried to find an answer to this by searching here but no luck.

What I'd like to know is...Are abilities in combat stackable? Are runes stackable?

Here is an example of what I mean.

I have a Musu. In combat I use my special skill "Healthy Minerals" This gives me a shield of 40% and regeneration. The next round I decide to use my other defensive ability "Mass Shield" which gives me a 30% shield but no regeneration.

The way I see it, when using these two abilities back to back, there are several different possible scenarios as far as how the game handles this.

1) Both shields combine, giving you a MEGA shield.
    2) The stronger Healthy Minerals shield works--in effect wasting the use of the Mass Shield.
    3) The Mass Shield, since it was used last, cancels out/eliminates the Healthy Minerals abilities and I lose the 40% shield and regeneration effects as it is replaced by the Mass Shield.
    4) Some other way they work together?

To me, this is important when trying to formulate a battle strategy with abilities. I was surprised I couldn't find the answer in the Wiki article or by searching here. I probably just used the wrong key words.

The same question for runes. If I use the same rune in two different slots, do they stack? Or does only one work and I am wasting a rune slot by using the same rune in another slot?

Thanks!
    well im not sure but from what i know

Shields don't combine. If you use a shield then use another, the first shield will be replaced with the one you just used. And for number 3 the shield will be replaced but the regeneration will stay. Also for runes the effect stacks, so if you use three speed runes which is needed for monsters like general thetys, it will stack.

So if you have two level 100 monsters of the same kind and one has 3 speed and the other has 2 speed and one strength, the one with three speed will go first but has less power.

I might be wrong but don't worry because there are a lot of long time players here who will be more helpful than me

Also, status effects like Poision, bleed, burn cannot stack.

Example, if you poison a monster, you cannot poison them again to do double poisob

Unfortunately, there is no universal rule for stacking. Some things do. Some things don't. As a rule of thumb, identical effects do not stack; the most recently applied simply replaces the older one.

Exile is right in relation the Shield example. The shield + regen skill is two separate effects. A subsequently applied shield replaces the first one (usually, there are some monsters that apply slightly different shield effects, which run concurrently but don't stack per se - but I digress). The regen however is a separate effect, and remains.

Runes stack additively not multiplicatively. So a second speed X rune adds another 35% speed to the base speed - not 35% of the (base speed + 35% from the first rune).

One of many quirks is the stacking operation of different damage buffs: they stack in the right order, but replace one another in the wrong order. You need to add the bigger boosts last. So, Lord of Atlantis with Blessed Water on your hitter (+100% damage) and then Reptie with Glamorize (+200% damage) gives your hitter 6x damage (multiplicative, not additive). But applying the effects the other way around, Blessed Water replaces Glamorize and your hitter ends up with only +100% damage (double damage).

Ultimately, the game mechanics are not transparent and require trial and error or rigorous testing to establish. The dungeons are your friends.

Have fun!
    *Resurrection of AMAB - All Men are Brothers -

Also sometimes Double Damage can stack if the timers are different in certain scenarios. Likely a bug that was overlooked, but I've seen Double Damage double stacked if a skill grants it for 1 turn, and another grants it for 2 turns.

But yeah like Contrived said - there's really no concrete stacking logic. The general behavior seen is:
    1. The same debuffs do not stack
    2. Shields do not stack
    3. Shields + Extra Life does stack (they are different buffs)
    4. Damage buffs stack if the stronger one is applied after (Double Damage first, then Triple Damage second for example)
    5. Similar Damage buffs stack on rare occasion where the turns they last differ
    6. Sometimes the Premiere Dungeons are buggy and the enemies' buffs stack. This usually does not carry over for the player though.
    Last edited by MarshallTheBeef; 04-20-2017 at 14:31.

All helpful answers.

Thanks for the help, everyone!